To Kill A Mockingbird

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tom is Found Guilty


Mr. Robinson was found guilty today at the courthouse. He is a very nice black man. Tom’s left arm is crippled from an accident when he was about my age. Tom has a wife and a couple little kids, but now he might be put to death. Tom supposedly took advantage of and beat up Mayella Ewell. The evidence that Atticus gave and the Ewell’s testimonials made it obvious that Bob Ewell beat up his daughter after his daughter kissed Tom. Tom was trying to get away from Mayella, and when she kissed him he tried not to offend her and tried to walk away. He knows if he would’ve offended her he would have been in big trouble, because she is white and he is black. I don’t see how this is that much of a problem, but when I asked Jem why it was a big deal and he said it was too hard for me to understand. Jem seems to think that I’m a little baby who doesn’t understand anything. He is not so high and mighty he’s only four years older than me. Jem is very upset that Tom was found guilty, and he is keeping to himself. My community left a ton of food at our doorstep for being Tom's lawyer, and being fair even though Tom is black. Atticus is likely one of the only white men who has showed the black community any kindness. I think it is very sad and I’m sure Tom is innocent, and I think everyone else is sure also. Atticus said he figured they would say Tom was guilty, just because he is black and there is a lot of discrimination going on at this time in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment